Gillian Best Powell
Gillian Wendy Best was born in 1955 in Uruguay. She studied at the Taller Edgardo Ribeiro, Montevideo and later at Seattle Community College, Washington, USA. In 1979 she moved to London where she met her husband at a Life Drawing class at Battersea Art Centre. She made her home here in South East London and her family continue her legacy by taking part in exhibitions.
Gillian’s main media were Silk Screen and Monoprint, but she also drew and made oil and acrylic paintings.
Although Gillian sadly passed away in 2016, her family wish to share her art which has always been colourful and expressive. Gillian loved art and community and she was a prolific artist loved by many.
Here are some of the exhibitions Gillian showed at and she often Gillian played a major part in organising or initiating some of these exhibitions too.
● Raison d'Être" on Capitol Hill, Seattle
● 6th Lewisham Visual Arts Festival
● Hilly Fields Studios (now Prendergast College)
● Lewisham Art House
● Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Dubai
● Core Blimey Studios, Creekside
● Art Hub Gallery, Deptford
● Core Gallery, Deptford
● Deptford X
● APT Studios, Deptford
● London Festival Fringe Southwark, 2009
● SWLA Colour Swatch at Espacio Gallery, 2014
● SWLA, Finders Keepers Losers Weepers, Conway
● SWLA Pillow Talk, Brixton East Gallery, Brixton 2016
● SWLA Pillow Talk, Uniqlo Gallery, Tate Modern. 2017
Gillian’s work also appears in the following books.
● Desire, Crave, Strive, Yearn Greed. London College of Communication 2010
● Monoprinting by Jackie Newell & Dee Wittington, SA7 C Black, London 2006
● The Centenary Collection: 1915 - 2015, BP Shipping 2017
WORKS ON SALE
CONTACT Zoe Powell